Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

First Race

Well, today was neither the best of days, nor the worst of days. A 28th place finish is not exactly fantastic, however for the first race of the season for me, it is as to be expected. The first fun was not an overly challenging set, however it definitely presented a unique set of challenges. The top section had three gates on a steep followed by a delay set on the transition on the the flat section of the course. I did not have trouble there, but I lost a lot of speed in those flats and the did not make the jump line. I am just not quite big enough, nor did I have a good wax, to carry the proper amount of speed to make the jump line, which only three people made all day, so I don't feel to bad about that. I also had a poor angle of the jump which led to me hitting a large bump and getting tossed off line, lucky for me there was a long delay set after the jump so I was able to get back on line quickly. But it cost me a lot of speed and the bottom of the course was deathly flat and the snow was verryyy slowww, the slowest section of the course. I had low speed through the wrap and my skate started slowly, but I am a fairly good skater and made up a little time there, but not much. Second run looks about the same as the first, nothing especially fast, with fewer mistakes. The second run set was simple, and me the thinker waayayyy over-skied it. Things to work on for tomorrow, better edge angles, ski the set. Things to work on for next year, GET BIGGER!!!

Wish me luck tomorrow in the Telemark!

7 comments:

  1. Cory, Good job on race #1! Reflecting upon how you skied and what to focus on for your next race is just as important as the race itself. We missed you at the Regional today. It was a tad chilly (to put it mildly). Everyone did a fabulous job considering the slow conditions. Happy racing tomorrow! Coach I (a.k.a. I-Dog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One correction:
    According to results posted on the WC website, there were seven men and three women who had no jump penalties Saturday; others made it on one run but not the other. I'm assuming no penalties means they made their respective jump lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I think i've got you in the chilly factor there mrs. Innes. Saturday was 5 degrees, Today was -10, and tomorrow is supposed to be somewhere around -29, so its just a wee bit nippy. Today my boots frozed, it sucked...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you said you placed 28th...out of how many people?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sucks...about your boots freezing! I didn't that ski boots could freeze. I learned something new today. Congradulations on being 28th, but out of how many? Were you 28th out of 27 or what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. cory cory cory :)
    First of all, we miss you up here in NH and I am sorry that this is my first comment. Even though it sounds like your race could have gone better, there is always next time! Good luck with telemark cory, I know you can do it!
    (MAGGIE :))

    ReplyDelete