Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Back on the NET!!

Since I have last checked in, I have raced a terrible classic, driven 2490 kilometers, including driving...me driving 3 hours of me driving on the German Autobahn!  The most terrifying and awesome experience ever (more on that later).  Back to the classic in Spain.  While I was tuning my skis before the race, I noticed that my binding was pulling out of my skis, pulling the top sheet of the ski with it...not good!  So I raced on my training skis, which did not go so well.  They are in pretty rough shape after some rocky skiing in Thyon and Spain.  The gases got a couple huggeee "gashes" in them.  And there are a couple big chunks taken out of the edges.  So I am either going to have to have some serious work done to them, and my race skis...or I am going to have to get new skis.  Right now the latter is looking more likely, since I have a long time before I am racing again....we shall see!  
The drive here was willllddd!!  Twenty something hours...and some craazzyy stuff.  I slept for the first eight hours while Thomas drove, and that got us through France, then I took over for about four hours through Germany...crazy.  I was driving about 130 km/h, the "recommended" speed on the autobahn.  From 2:30 to 6:30 there are only a few things on the roads, lots and lots of trucks, going 90 km/h, a few cars and vans going about the smae speed as me, and then every once an a while you run into a few cars that are fllyyinnnggg.  You can see them coming from behind you, and they come quiickk.  Then just like that they are past you and 100 meters past you like you aren't even moving...like that.  Its awesome to see, but at the same time is terrifying!  Anyways....we are now on a giant ferry from Keil, Germany to Goetteborg, Sweden for the next...long time!  Final destination: Norway!!

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that the Germans don't do other things whle driving: talking on the phone, eating, drinking, etc. Texting? Probably a good thing; on the autobahn you JUST DRIVE! (Also explains the wimpy cupholders in VWs, like an afterthought.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience on the Autobahn matches mine from 2004 and 2005! I always heard it was like that. No time for distractions! Good luck resolving the ski situation! We'll pray that you get a good deal!

    ReplyDelete