Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Classic!

Well today was quite the interesting day. We awoke to the news that indeed todays race would be a classic, as the temperature was -25 celsius. The race time temperature was -20, a mere half a degree warmer than the -20.5 minimum for a classic race. So it was. As it has been, the snow was just a styrofoam block. Frigid, i can't even believe how cold it has been. This morning wen we got to the hill, via hotel van, Lorin, Erika, and Madi were left stranded for 15 minutes because their stuff was stuck in the back of the van, the car door was frozen shut. So all of their helmets, bibs, boots, you know, things that aren't really all that important were stuck in the back of some random van, Roy eventually got it out by somehow banging the back of the van with some sort of blunt object, maybe a stick of some sort. Another story for another time. On to the course, it was my favorite of the three here in Bjorli. The start was at the very top of the hill, about 5 gates higher than the GS start. it was a turny course set by the Norwegian coach Ivan. There was a flat wrap just above the sprint start, and then, A WAVE TRACK. So much fun, and also a great way to gain speed before going into a steep. I had a good speed after the wave track and was able to carry good speed over the knoll and over the flats to the jump. I made the mens short line, and I was inches away from the mens long line! I will consider that my best jump of the year. I am finally getting the hang of how to jump! Harald gave me some advice today and I think that in Rjukan I will make a jump line or two. The skate section at the bottom of the course was average, and I was not impressed. For a classic it was awful short. I wish it was longer, I could have made up some time!! Oh well, the skate in Rjukan is supposed to be killer, perfect! I am all packed up and ready to go tomorrow at 8:00. It is going to be a long day of traveling, all the way back to Oslo by train, and then to Rjukan by bus. It should be 9 hours total, miserable. Oh well, perfect time to get my homework done!!

4 comments:

  1. What the heck is a "wave track"?

    I'm glad you did well on the jump. Keep up the good work, and good luck in Rjukan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I figured out what the "wave track" is from Roy's video on fb. It looks just like it sounds, and fun but weird! I enjoyed watching the video..

    You can hear how cold it is from the squeak of the snow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, just a big ball of positive attitude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go get em in Rjukan!

    ReplyDelete